Built on virgin cattle grazing land, nestled in rolling hills and farms, the India Cultural Centre and Temple is an oasis of natural beauty and serenity. In keeping with the temple’s environmentally responsible culture, the Temple Garden project was initiated. In the Spring of 2016, a small group of dedicated volunteers who shared a love for gardening, got together and started the Organic vegetable garden on the temple grounds.
The Garden provides access to fresh organically grown traditional produce to the community.
Indian vegetables like Bottle gourd, Ridge gourd, Snake gourd, Bitter gourd, Cucumbers, Chillies, Gongura and Malabar spinach etc. are grown organically. The produce is gathered, cleaned and sold on Saturdays at a nominal price. All proceeds go to the temple. The garden, which was started on a small scale, with limited volunteers, manages to raise close to one thousand dollars each year.
This is one small step towards our goal of making the temple self-contained, where one day, the garden can supply vegetables to be used in the kitchen.
The team will be joining with the ICCT youth group, to encourage children to be involved in gardening, and introduce them to the benefits of healthy living.
Studies have shown that children who are involved in gardening have a better attitude about vegetables, consume more fruits and vegetables, and get more exercise.
Volunteer Signup Donate Photo Gallery Contact Us
All levels of volunteering is welcome and very appreciated. In the spring we need seeds and seedlings, and volunteers to help plant the seedlings. During the spring and summer months, volunteers are needed to pull weeds and water plants.
During the harvesting season (July – Oct) , every Friday, vegetables need to be picked , cleaned and set up for sale on Saturday.
We welcome volunteers of all ages.
Let′s be in touch!
DONATE - SUPPORT US
Be part of the garden project success! Your contribution creates positive results in many ways!
- We are looking for following donations:
- Indian vegetable seeds
- Ready to plant seedlings at the end of April
- Bags of Miracle Grow potting soil, to enhance the dirt in the garden beds
- Financial donation for project maintenance and improvements
CALENDAR - GARDENING SCHEDULE
Actual dates are dependent on weather, and will be communicated regularly during the season.
- Beginning of April :
- Seeds planted indoors by volunteers (at home)
- End of Apr – beginning of May :
- Beds readied for planting.
- Seedlings collected.
- Seedlings planted in the beds and planters.
- May – Oct – 4 times a week – watering plants and weeding
- Jul – Oct – Every Friday, Vegetables picked and readied for sale.
- Jul – Oct – Ever Saturday – Vegetables sold during Lunch time.
- Oct – Cleanup vegetable beds.